Pages

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Rites of Passage review

When I read it: 11th September - 17th September 2014
Rating: 5/5

Honestly?
I had made too many assumptions before attempting to read this book. I feared that it would be another love story, using a military themed mask to cover just another romance novel. I was wrong and oh, I am so glad I was. 
Sam McKenna joined a -previously- all boys military academy because of a dare her late brother assigned her with. If a military school wasn't hard enough, she was one of the first females to undergo it's exercises and the treatment of the other cadets. 
As a girl obsessed with war movies and all things related, I had a lot of expectations. 
Not only that but as my brother is currently a cadet, my mum was also a cadet when she was younger and me planning to apply for the army... Not only was I expecting the information described in the novel to be on-point but I wanted to see what I was getting myself into. 
Like I said before I was worrisome about the love story but there was a good balance of romance and the actual works of the academy going through the pages that I was not disappointed. As any girl would, I fell in love with Stamm, and as a sister, I wanted Jonathan to understand what his poor sister was going through. 
If you want to read more of a romance novel I would recommend Nicholas Sparks' books, they have only a thin trace about war and the military despite some of the books basing it around those themes.

I am hoping that other authors would come and look at this book and make something inspired from it, because it certainly is an emotional roller-coaster that I would love to go through again.
See my other reviews and what I'm reading on my Goodreads account by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik