Pages

Sunday 18 January 2015

Black Ice review


When I read it: 11th January - 18th January 2015
Rating: 4/5

As I finished the last words, ebbing away from the world that slowly grew and warped around me these past few days, my mind's thoughts of this novel evaporated and I am not only left empty handed as I stow away this handsome hardback, but also empty headed. 
Black Ice had a very different feel and form from Becca Fitzpatrick's previous series, Hush, Hush. It has matured, and honestly without a better way of saying it, this was Hush, Hush all grown up. You can hate all you want but you have to agree with that.

My first initial thought of the story, flipping through the first few pages obediently, my mind dwell on the words again and again "Not this stereotype of a female protagonist whom is weak, relies on others to survive and above all else finds herself the 'whole package' to use for her advantage." And of course, this story prevails to mould into that shape and prove me right. I was astonished nevertheless, to find in the end, Britt finds herself, she learns how to be 'independent'. But it's like feminism for first school. Yeah, she has finally learnt how to make her own peanut butter toast, and didn't really rely on men in her life to survive but I honestly find that because it was a different scenario and the survival side of her kicked in. 
Aside from all this (and the presumptions of disliking Britt only to find out at the end of the book I ended up detesting her...) I found the story reeled you in right from the beginning. While reading you feel like you're walking on dodgy stepping stones in a rough current stream. It kept you on the edge of your seat and I couldn't literally put the book down until I really slammed it down. 

Honestly, it makes you sweat as each twist and turn makes it way through the pages. You cringe as you can predict what will occur next. And finally, you let out a hefty breath when that 'scene' happens, that seemed to be kept in your throat since you picked up the book.

Yes I hate the protagonist, and the amateur attempt of making a strong female character that doesn't rely on men and love to make her happy- because despite saying she doesn't, she did really in the end, didn't she?
But the actual storyline was gripping, realistic and darn-right scary. Opening the book I felt like I'd been pushed down the rabbit hole and found all, blatantly, crazy shit down there. This book was mesmerizing, not the best in all it's entirely but sure as hell be something I'll look back and remember from back to front. 
See my other reviews and what I'm reading on my Goodreads account by clicking here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik