Pages

Thursday 1 January 2015

The Scorch Trials (Book 2, The Maze Runner series) review


When I read it: 25th September 2014 - 1st January 2015
Rating: 3/5

I'm really not sure how I felt with this novel. I mean, firstly, the book had a good start, I was curious from the end of The Maze Runner, it's predecessor, to the beginning of this novel. The attachment and continuation between the two was thorough and well-done, it continued like I never left.
The storyline overall was a bit stretched. I thought the whole series didn't really necessary need two more sequels (let alone a prequel, may I add, I was surprised when I found out one existed). I really loved the Maze Runner and with the popularity of the series, it gave me strength to continue on with the series and set forth into the adventures of The Scorch Trials. 
What can I say about this inquisitive tale? The outset certainly gripped me with a mighty force. There was a lot of potential, They're (the Gladers) finally out of the Maze and all was fine and well at the end of the tunnel aka previous book, but like any fellow curious-minded reader like myself, would dream, is "What's after the 'happily-ever-after?'" We all want to know if it stays like that. And boy, did that idea fester, we find out that actually they're in for a lot more trouble and adventure. That, REALLY, they're still inside.

I cannot pinpoint the part where the storyline fell apart, in my eyes, but I can say it must be around the part after they met the Rat-Man who said that they would have to go through another set of trials. While I was reading I felt it was good as a whole, but disagreed with the fact that it was a whole book of another set of trials, and the trials they went through at that was a bit of a stretch. Yes, I must admit I disagree with my original predicament now that I finished this book, I still felt like some scenes were in fact just plain boring. But trust me, through the dull monologues of Thomas' thoughts and the lengthy 'supposed' action scenes (okay, some were boring when I knew they were meant to be oh so more) I felt there were in fact some enjoyable scenes, some loved characters that I would miss to lose adjacent to the story and then there's the extravagant way James Dashner pulled off as a lead on for the final instalment. 
Oh, might I add, if you don't like the popular trend in YA novels at the moment with love triangles, I would read this book with a pinch of salt, i.e. a light read, a book on the side if you will. Because oh my, how the love story ruins it all.
See my other reviews and what I'm reading on my Goodreads account by clicking here.








No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik