Pages

Sunday 17 January 2016

The Shining review


When I read it: 27th December 2015 - 17th January 2016
Rating: 5/5

I have not got much motivation or any inspiration for that matter to write about this book. This has no relation how good this novel was (let me get to that in a second) but it just seems to be hard to wrap up and tie up all of the loose ends of all the after-thoughts I got from this book's ending and to put it into words so soon. Nevertheless I shall try my very best in doing so.

I read my Stephen King collection a little backwards, date of published-wise. I previously read Joyland last summer and it was beautiful. It had a very sticky storyline, you grab it and you can't let go, your eyes are glued to the page. I have been told though, that the newer novels are far from the same as the classics like The Shining, so I felt anxious, do I like the Stephen King books he is most famous for? 
Of course the answer would be a big fat yes. It has been a while since the last time I read and just reading his style was different to anything I have previously read before. I'm always cautious when it comes to picking up a book written in third person, it takes skills to use that objective narrative and still be flexible enough to make it seem that you're writing it in each of the main character's perspective directly as if it were first person narrative. 
I think because this is such a classic and the movie adaptation was a hit that I've seen the reworks of the original again and again in other movies, tv shows or in music videos, this gave a lot of the storyline away but the rest was easily foreseeable. Either way, that was perfectly fine with me. It's not the ending being spoiled to worry about but how it got to that.

See my other reviews and what I'm reading on my Goodreads account by clicking here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik