Pages

Tuesday 1 March 2016

The Girl on the Train review


When I read it: 30th January - 25th February 2016
Rating: 3/5

Overall, I'm fairly disappointed in this book. Now let me expand on this opinion... 
Imagine me with an abundance of books on my to-read list, and I choose this one because in my mind it's the most anticipated. Not only that, but hasn't everyone been rambling on and on about how amazingly just this is?
Well what did I expect? Something like In Cold Blood by Capote to turn up- well do you blame me if I did?
Anyway, getting to the point. It's terrible, honestly, if I pick it apart then maybe it has some goodness at its core, but overall, not amazing. The writing is realistic, as in, maybe a middle age drunk would speak and think in these terms but it's basic. There's no flavour, there's no trying to paint a picture, it's just well, "here is a sweater, maybe its blue, I don't know". The start is slow, but do you know what's good about that? it's a metaphor for the theme of the book, pick it apart and analysis it's pace. It begins slowly and it start to pick up by the middle and slow down as the novel wraps up, just like a train. Hawkins was lucky to have the talent to at least, know how to trail off the chapters, you want to read the next "date" no matter what.
I might be being a little rough with this review, I did give it three stars not two after all. So let's sum up my feelings for real; The book is more dull than expected but saying this it still had a trail of surprises for me, she's good at cliffhangers after every date recorded, what a clever format to write a book like a diary, as I said previously the pace of the story resembles a train, maybe she could have been less repetitive or again that resembles a life of a commuter, the end needs working on.

See my other reviews and what I'm reading on my Goodreads account by clicking here.

3 comments:

 
Images by Freepik